Pages

10.05.2011

The Illustrated Book: A New Love

If you follow my blog, you know that I recently ventured to Portland, Oregon and stopped at the legendary Powell's Bookstore.  I know that I failed to post my finds-shame- but it's a work in process. This post has a little to do with what I did find and the illustrated goodness I found browsing DesignSponge today.  So here's the thing: I'm kind of in love with the informative, illustrated book. Officially.

Now let me clarify, I'm not so much of a graphic novel fan.  It's not that I think there's anything wrong with the graphic novel, it's just that they've never been very appealing to me. Ok, so what's the difference here?  I think I love the illustrated novel a little more because it adds clarity to the instructions it provides.  I'm certainly a visual learner, so it's no wonder I'm so fond.  I also want to point out that I really admire the creative minds that produce these beautiful pages, and the hard work that goes into providing such great information.  It's a nice to look at and informative- just like I like my screen entertainment, so maybe there's a pattern there.

Love at first sight: I grabbed this one on my way to the checkout on that fantastic visit to Powell's.


It's cute and easy to carry around and provides a wealth of information on consuming less by crafting goods that meet your cleaning, beauty and gardening needs.  It was absolutely perfect as I was searching for something that would enhance my growing ability to create my own products from the things around my house.  It's great because the instructions are very clear and the illustrations add a special little touch.


*These images were snagged from buyolympia.com where you can purchase the book.  


Back to the browsing TODAY...  I love DesignSponge.  It's a great place to get nifty ideas to transform your abode, to see what other creative minds are doing and to celebrate the love of design.  It was like finding gold - this book.  I love the growing interest in farming, the local initiative of buying goods from those around you and those that work to learn about the things they consume and they way they're made.  I fell in love with this book straightaway and can't wait to get a copy of my own.


* You can find the details here


What are your thoughts?  What subject would you like to see in full-on illustrated glory?

7 comments:

  1. Nice find! This looks like something my sister would love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those books look adorable! If cookbooks were more artsy and cute & provided more "how to make cooking fun" kind of stuff, I might be more into it. But mostly I'm not into cooking, at all, which sucks for my diet. I'm sure those books must exist...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenna,

    I can't speak for the 2nd, but I love the homemade beauty remedies in the first! It's great.

    Cat,
    I bet they do. I am pretty new to the illustrated how-to guide. I just think they're so helpful and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, those book look brilliant! Like Zeteticat, I'd love to get my hands on a cook book in the same style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nymeth, I feel I have to find one on the topic now that it's been mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love history of clothing and history of child rearing done in similar way, just to mention what comes to my mind first.

    And now I want the "Farm Anatomy" book! I need it to illustrate the stories my parents have told me (for differences as well as for similarities between items in different countries).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I agree. History books like that would be so fun..especially dresses! I'm such a sucker for dresses.
    I just ordered my copy of Farm Anatomy and can't wait to get my hands on it!!! Glad I could share!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...