Pages

7.27.2012

A Review: The Tower, the Zoo, and the Tortoise by Julia Stuart



I was initially drawn to The Tower, the Zoo, and the Tortoise when I spotted the cover art on a new release email ages and ages ago. I added it to my enormous TBR list on Goodreads and didn't think much about it. Recently, however, I started going through the list and choosing titles pick up at the library, and this just happened to make the cut. When I read that it was compared to Amelie (one of my favorite movies ever) and pretty much anything by Wes Anderson, I had a good feeling.
 
Balthazar and Hebe Jones (and their 180-year-old tortoise) live in the Tower of London on account of Balthazar's job as a Beefeater. Once responsible for the keeping of the prisoners (and some acts of torture), present day Warders provide their extensive knowledge of the Tower's intense history in the form of a tour guide (apparently all employed at the Tower of London live in the space in the non-fiction world). Sharing the Salt Tower, a space with circular walls that don't making decorating too easy, Hebe and Balthazar carry on a painfully silent existence after the loss of their young son, Milo. Meanwhile, Balthazar is dealing with the responsibilities that come with the Queen's decision to appoint him overseer of the Royal Menagerie on the Tower grounds.

This well-developed cast of characters is quite entertaining. The Reverend writing erotic fiction under a female pen name. Valerie, Hebe's co-worker and best friend, reading mystery novels borrowed from the office and quietly replacing them each morning. The tattooed train officer who manages to visit Valerie at the most inconvenient times. And so on...

I found myself laughing aloud and struggling to hold back tears. The prose evoked the feelings I had when I first encountered the depth and magic of Nicole Krauss's The History of Love. I'll admit that I expected a novel of fluff, something fun to add a little laugh to my life, but found it offered so much more. Stuart is truly a talented writer who makes actions seem so natural to the characters despite the absurdity. The struggle to maintain a relationship despite loss added a serious tone that really added necessary balance without seeming like just another abused plot device. While the events leading up to the transferring of the animals from the London Zoo, and all events dealing with the animals thereafter were completely farfetched, I feel it added a sense of imagination I hadn't felt since I was a child. A time when anything was possible.

If you haven't given The Tower, the Zoo and the Tortoise a chance, please do. I don't think you'll regret it. I loved it!


14 comments:

  1. This book sounds bizarre, but in a good way! Your post reminded me of all the trips I took to the Tower of London as a child :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,
      It really is! I only visited once and had no idea that people lived there! I can't imagine I'd ever be able to get over the creepy. I didn't even mention the ghost of Sir Walter Raleigh.

      Delete
  2. I was drawn to this book the first time I saw it and it's been on my TBR for a while. I think you're the first person I've seen read and review it. I'm definitely drawn to unique characters and stories like this so I can't wait to read it...eventually! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jae,
      Yes, I highly recommend it! I really, really loved it. I think my review kind of indicates that though. Hope you enjoy when you get around to picking it up!

      Delete
  3. Yep, another one I added to my list ages ago (probably from an Indie bookseller Next List; I usually add about half of the books to my TBR list every time I see a new one of those lists) and kind of forgot about, until I saw it at Target recently on one of those "if you like this, you'll like this" shelves. I can't remember what it was next to, but whatever it was I liked! So this is hovering much closer to the top of my list now, especially after your recommendation... Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Yes yes and yes. You gotta give it a go. Let me know what you think!

      Delete
  4. I agree that this cover art is intriguing. As is your review of the book! On the list it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara,
      Hope you enjoy. Please let me know how you like it!

      Delete
  5. Sounds great - I once worked in the Tower of London for a week as a temp. sec. - unforgettable experience. I'm definitely going to look this one up - jumping over to amazon now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy,
      That sounds amazing. My friend was just telling me she didn't believe people actually lived there. Hope you enjoy & please stop by and let me know!

      Delete
  6. When you compare a book to Amalie and The History of Love you've got my attention! I adored both.

    Don't you love it when a book surpasses your expectations and turns out to be wonderful when you weren't sure what to expect? It sounds like this would make for a really good Summmer read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenna,
      I hope I'm not raising the expectations too high, but it's what came to mind when I was reading. Amelie-esque from the beginning and The History of Love during some of the deeper bits.

      Let me know if you decide to pick it up.

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad you recommend this one. I've been intrigued by the cover art but didn't quite know what to think of the book. The comparison to Amelie is intriguing and has me TOTALLY onboard. Glad you loved it so much and I hope I do, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andi,
      I really really really loved it. But I'm interested to see what others think once they've done so as well. It just had so many elements that worked for me. Looking forward to your review!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...