Pages

6.19.2014

Summer is Here (Almost)





While it's technically not summer just yet, I sort of feel like we can act like it is when it's so hot out and you can kick it with your friends on the patio (and enjoy a cold brew or whatever you fancy). While summer makes me think of wondrous things like fruit pies, dining al fresco, sandy beaches, and sunshine FOR DAYS, I also consider it the best time to compile giant reading lists I'll never actually have the opportunity to tackle. A girl can dream...

Recently notified via a very pleasant email from Netgalley, I realized that I had a ton of galleys and few reviews. Sadly, it's not that I've read the majority of these titles and then failed to hold up my end of the bargain and not post. No, it's more than I've either hated the title OR never even glanced at it after being approved. Netgalley for me is like a kid in a candy store with absolutely NO adult supervision. It can't be helped. I click to request and request and request until I'm passed out in the corner from exhaustion.

In an effort to do good on my word, I'm going to seriously try and complete the latest titles that I've been so graciously granted access to. ARCs out my ears, people.

In no particular order, here are a few titles I hope to finish in the near future (many of these have release dates not too far into the future so you'll be seeing them soon):






 
 



1 How to Ruin a Queen by Jonathan Beckham

Another book about Marie Antionette and her diamonds. Look, I'm a sucker for this stuff so no judging. Plus, everyone needs a healthy dose of non-fiction, ok?

2 The Ship of Brides by Jojo Moyes

Look, I actually didn't even stop to read what this one was about because I'll read anything Moyes writes. Yes, I'm guilty of getting a copy of One Plus One from Netgalley and not reviewing after finishing, but let's just say that it wasn't that great and leave it there. Otherwise, I've always enjoyed her other books so I'm just pretending I didn't read that particular title.

3 Supernatural Enhancements by Edgar Cantero

It's been October since I've sat down to a good gothic tale. I find that most of my novels in this genre come from writers from decades/centuries past and I wanted to finally try something more modern. I can't say that this will be as good as classics by Wilkie or Poe, but I'm willing to give it a go. A man inherits a spooky mansion from a relative he's never heard of (cliche yes... bear with me) and all goes to hell after that. I'll let you know.

4 Dad by William Wharton

The title and the cover art got me here. Yeah, I judged a book by its cover. It happens. This family drama drew me in with its focus on the father as opposed to the mother (like so many I've read before). I love my father but we've always butted heads and I guess seeing another relationship (even if its fictional) is interesting in some way.

5 The Hundred-Year House by Rebecca Makkai

Remember that time I went on and on about Makkai's first novel, The Borrower? No? Probably not because I loved it while everyone else gave it lukewarm reviews. Anyway, Makkai offers a tale of an ancient house that once thrived as a dwelling for an arts colony. Her last novel was pretty insightful and hilarious, so I'm hoping this is similar.

6 Summer House with Swimming Pool by Herman Koch

Ah yes, Mr. Koch. Last year, his novel The Dinner (which I also received via Netgalley) was all the rage. People were waiting for the next Gone Girl and it fit the bill. In SHWSP, a doctor is faced with charges of malpractice after one his patients dies suddenly. While I wasn't blown away with his work, I was interested to give Koch another chance. I'm currently reading this and I'll say that it's already more disturbing than The Dinner ever was.  Ok, so the summary above seems tame, but Koch has a knack for creating characters that crawl under you skin and stay. Unless the conclusion just totally kills it, I'm already thinking this will surpass the previous novel.

That's it. A list of novels, in addition to what I'm reading for my local book group, I'll be desperately trying to complete before this beautiful season is over. Wish me luck!


What novels are you anticipating?


6 comments:

  1. Yup....Netgalley can be a problematic place. I have been guilty on a few occasions of completely forgetting an archive date and not reading the book at all...gulp.

    I remember reading The Borrower, but I didn't know she had a new book out. Happy summer reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I've totally done that probably too many times now. I'm always really upset when it's a book I was REALLY anticipating and it goes to archive! WHYYYY?? Ha.

      Happy summer reading to you, lady! :)

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean - I'm the same way about NetGalley. I actually got that same email the other day which annoyed me since I had literally just signed off from NetGalley after having written several reviews. Ack! I'm trying to read the ARCs that I get from there, but somehow I get sidetracked with tangible books and wind up forgetting about NetGalley. I got that Koch book as well, so hopefully I'll get to it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's always the physical books that I pick up from the library that get the most attention. I'm really trying to get through this list! The Koch book is really hard though because it's just so messed up. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Ha! I've been making a summer reading list in my head which is laughable seeing as how it takes me a long time to get through a book right now! But I'm seriously considering reading Outlander again in preparation for the TV series to begin.

    I really disliked The Dinner, but I think I would give another one of his books a chance just to compare...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom is doing the same and keeps telling me I just have to get past a certain part to get sucked in. I'm going to attempt again so I can enjoy the series with her. And just be aware that this Koch title is SO much more messed up than The Dinner. Like I'm afraid to see physicians now! ha.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...