Pages

8.11.2014

A Honeymoon: Munich and Paris

Remember when I wrote about having a wedding? And getting a dress for that wedding? And then deciding against a wedding and just going to England instead? But then announcing that we got married in Chicago without telling anyone so then the England thing was like whhhaaa?!?

Yep. We obviously have an issue with committing to things. Not to one another, mind you, but it's complicated. So we scratched England. Look, I LOVE London. LOVE it, but I've been numerous times so I needed to see something different. J hasn't been to Europe and was game for anything so we decided on another route. I promise you'll actually see pictures from these destinations because we've already booked the trip and there's no possibility of backing out. So. Here goes..

Destination One: Munich, Germany

J's only request was that we see a castle. Yep. So I thought Schloss Neuschwanstein would be easily accessible from Munich, and would give me a glimpse of Bavaria, a win-win for us both. I don't really know anything about the city but plan to learn as much as possible during our short visit. Sure, I'm also looking forward to beers as large as my head and pastries in equal quantity, but it isn't just the food I'm looking forward to.

Munich





I've always wanted to see Germany, and while Munich wasn't really on my radar, it allows us to see Bavaria and visit nearby Salzburg, Austria, without much difficulty. I tried hard to refrain from packing too much in, as I was inclined to do on this trip because it'd been so long since going overseas, but decided that four days seemed like enough time to explore Munich, take a day trip to Austria, and not feel like we'd missed too  much. Plus, I'm always up for future trips once we've found favorites!

Salzburg



Destination Two: Paris, France

I'm aware that Paris is THE honeymoon destination, and probably a little cliche for this particular trip, but I was so taken with a few posts from some of favorite bloggers on the sights of Paris that I became obsessed and convinced that we had to go NOW. We're also huge fans of historical adventures so Paris was a no-brainer. I'll hold off on pictures because images of Paris are practically everywhere (and I know you just can't wait to see mine). Besides Versailles, we haven't planned any trips outside of the city. I realized quickly that five days was barely enough time to fit it all in after looking at the different neighborhoods and museums. I guess that means future trips?

So... in a couple of weeks, J and I will be headed on our first European adventure together and I just can't wait.

Visited these areas before and want to share places we shouldn't miss? Share with everyone in the comments section!


All images used with permission from Entouriste.  


22 comments:

  1. So exciting!! We were going to try to do Munich at the end of our trip, not realizing that we were overlapping with Octoberfest... and therefore the hotels, flights, and everything elses were insanely expensive. So we ended up going west for our last leg, to Barcelona, and flying home from there.

    I studied abroad in Paris, but it was years ago so I don't have too many recommendations off the top of my head. I will say, though, the Montmartre (once you get past Moulin Rouge and into the neighborhood) and Sacre Coeur are gorgeous, very typical Parisian feel and well worth the hills in the area (coming up from the Metro stop there is like hiking a mountain in and of itself). There's a fondue restaurant there call Le Refuge des Fondues (there should probably be accent marks there, but I can't remember how to make them on my keyboard...). They serve two things: meat fondue and cheese fondue. Pre-fixe comes with a baby bottle (yes, baby bottle) full of wine, fondue for two, and dessert. You can get additional baby bottles of wine for a few Euro. It's a bit touristy (you can write on the walls) but just a really unique, interesting place (and not too expensive...).

    Ok, I'll stop hogging your comment area now. Can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try and find it. Yes, I've been dying to see Montmartre. I actually found a blog that did a little mini-tour of spots from the movie Amelie, so definitely doing that! Wish we were crossing paths! Safe travels :)

      Delete
  2. Ah, I've been to Salzburg & Neuschwanstein, that area is so beautiful, I'd love to visit again one day. Try and get in a river cruise if you can, there's gorgeous little castles around every corner.
    Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're going to have such a great trip! I can't wait to see all of the wonderful pictures you will take!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck with your European tour and I hope J falls in love with Europe too. With you two so mesmerized, maybe one day you'll make it to Spain and we can meet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's definitely going to happen! You just wait...

      Delete
  5. So excited for the both of you. Next trip, though, your Moms need to chaperone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Even with the anonymous tag I knew who left this comment. We'll definitely have to plan a mother son and daughter trip. :)

      Delete
  6. Have so much fuuuuunnn!!!! I'm sure you will and can't wait to see your pictures. Also good job J wanting to see a castle. Priorities, has has them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, Salzburg is beautiful. I would love to get back there. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time for just taking in the mountain scenery--it's absolutely breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm most excited about Salzburg even though we'll only be there a day. I wanted to see Vienna too, but that certainly will have to wait until another trip!

      Delete
  8. You are going to have so much :) Salzburg is beautiful! I loved it when I went and I'm sure you both will as well. Enjoy your honeymoon!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like a wonderful trip!! I can't wait to hear all about it. Can you send pastries back to those of us stuck in the US?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how I'd love to. The most I can offer is a recipe on how to create said pastries once I return! I know, totally not the same.

      Delete
  10. Have fun!!! Go to Sacre Couer in Paris for a gorgeous view of the city. Go to Shakespeare and Co. for amazing books. In Salzburg, I did the Sound of Music tour (by far the most touristy thing I've ever done) but it was so much fun. We also went to a biergarden run by monks that was just incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of this biergarten you speak of. I cannot wait!!

      Delete
  11. Amazing! So exciting, you guys will have a blast and I can't wait to see the photos! I've been to Austria and Munich, but it's been 15 years so I have nothing to offer you, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'm going to take so many photos it won't even be funny. Probably should get another memory card :0

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...