Pages

9.16.2014

Seasonal Reads with the RIP IX Challenge

Every year a large number of readers in the blogging community get together and read seasonal, spooky reads to celebrate Autumn and Halloween. Because it's my absolute favorite season, and reading event, and because I just love to read, I'm committing for the 4th year in a row and urge you to do the same!

So what is it, exactly...





Pick a book/movie from the following genres:
Mystery.
Suspense.
Thriller.
Dark Fantasy.
Gothic.
Horror.
Supernatural.
Or anything sufficiently moody that shares a kinship with the above.

That is what embodies the stories, written and visual, that we celebrate with the R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril event.

As time has wound on this event has been honed down to two simple rules:

1. Have fun reading (and watching).
2. Share that fun with others.

My reading list (fingers crossed):
 
1) The Shining - Stephen King (I'll be attempting the novel and the movie!)
2) Broken Monsters - Lauren Beukes
3) The Secret Place - Tana French
4) The Haunting of Hill House - Shirley Jackson (The Estella Society is hosting a readalong.)



  So.. what will you be reading??




8 comments:

  1. Beth, I love this challenge as well and always look forward to it. It definitely gets me excited for Fall :) Two of the books you listed are on my list as well - The Shining and Broken Monsters. I've already finished reading The Shining and Doctor Sleep - both of which I really enjoyed. I plan on watching the film version next month. I started Broken Monsters, but couldn't get into it, so I read Horrorstor instead. I'm thinking of reading The Ocean At The End Of The Lane next. Enjoy your spooky reads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nadia, Darn, I'm really enjoying Broken Monsters even though it's way out of my comfort zone. Her style is a little frantic and all over the place but I like it. I can't wait to start The Shining so hopefully we can chat after I finish. It's a classic so I don't know how I've gone so long without reading it. The Ocean at the End of the Lane is perfect!! I loved it. Happy reading and thanks for giving my list a peek!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely going to give Broken Monsters a second chance (maybe next month). And we should definitely chat about The Shining once you've read it. I'm actually reading It right now and put the Gaiman book aside for now. I'm in a Stephen King kind of mood :)

      Delete
    2. I'll admit that it did take me a minute to get into it. I tried reading her previous book The Shining Girls but never managed to make it through. I think once you finally remember all the characters since she's constantly moving to each story, you'll get into it. People compare it to True Detective, which I've never seen but have heard good things, so who knows. Can't wait to chat. Are you doing the movie tie-in too?

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes! So far I'm having a hard time following the narrative but I expect good things!

      Delete
  4. Yay for Tana French! I read the Dublin Murder Squad out of order (accidentally started with the second, then read Faithful Place), so am planning to go back and read In the Woods, then pick up with Broken Harbour and Secret Place after that. Looking forward to hearing what you think of Broken Monsters. I really liked The Shining Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I did the same except started with Faithful Place. I really do hope this one is as good. I wasn't in love with the last one and this one is starting off a little flat. Fingers crossed. I have The Shining Girls and read about half and then abandoned for some unknown reason. Now that I've completed Broken Monsters I know I'll attempt again. It was SO good. Stay tuned for a mini-review.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...