Pages

11.04.2016

RIP XI: A Recap


Another RIP is in the books and I'm happy to report that I managed to fulfill my pledge to read four spooky books plus an additional five titles. While I had so much fun dedicating a healthy portion to getting in the spirit of Halloween, I won't lie that I'm pretty excited to move on and start Nonfiction November, or books devoid of ghosts and haunted houses and murder and the like. Below is a short list of what I've read and what I thought about it. Enjoy!

Completed Titles*






















*I'm just including a short reaction and star rating on those completed. Full reviews for some titles to come later.

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

Three and a half stars. Delightfully creepy and sometimes a bit disorienting,  We Have Always Lived in the Castle, is the perfect classic to add to your Halloween reading list.

Through the Woods by Emily Carroll

Four stars. Categorized as a tween graphic novel, Through the Woods, is a perfect combo of creepy stories and beautiful, yet haunting illustrations. It's gorgeous! And I thought the stories were pretty good even if they didn't offer much of a conclusion.

The Forsaken Inn by Anna Katherine Green

Two stars. This one started off ok and then took a nosedive. Too many problems and little payoff.

Rest in Pieces: The Curious Fates of Famous Corpses by Bess Lovejoy

Three and a half stars. Interesting stories of, as the title states, the corpses of famous people and just all around bizarre behavior on the part of the living asked to protect them. I wouldn't say it was fun because it's dead bodies we're talking here, but it was a quick read with historical facts to keep for future trivia situations.

The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie

Three and a half stars. My first Christie (I read for Feminist Literary Society) and a great introduction to the Miss Marple character/mystery series. I could see myself reading more of these in the future.

The Haunting of Maddy Clare by Simone St. James

Three stars. Paranormal mystery with a side of steamy romance. It was a fun read and easy to get through (I think I finished in a day), but definitely had some problems. I'll note that it should come with a trigger warning as there are suggestions of sexual violence.

Listen to Me by Hannah Pittard

Two stars. This just did not work for me. I loved the premise and could really feel the atmosphere as Justin and I had just driven from Richmond to Chicago (the same drive, in reverse, that the characters undertake), but could not relate to the characters or wrap my head around the clumsy conclusion. I should also note that I started on audio and could not stand the narrator so my experience could have been clouded a bit by the intro.

The Ghost Writer by John Harwood

Two stars. Another title that had a strong start and then totally crashed and burned. It's creepy, but I was initially really lost in terms of determining what time period the action was taking place, and then found the story within a story within a story within ANOTHER story just too tiring and convoluted. I'll probably try some of this other titles next year.

Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd by Alan Bradley

Four stars. Another Flavia de Luce mystery, which I love, back in England and the beloved Buckshaw. I'll probably post a full-length review in the future, but highly recommend to those who have read the others in the series.


So happy that another RIP Challenge is in the books! It's definitely my favorite reading event and know I'll start curating my list for next year soon. Here's to Nonfiction November and meeting those reading goals before the year's end!


What are you reading?


1 comment:

  1. I'm finishing up my 6th book for the RIP Challenge a little late - still working on The Little Stranger, but have savored all these mysterious/spooky reads the past couple months. Two standouts for me were I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh (best twist I've read in awhile) & And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (amazing on audio; narrated by Dan Stevens, who was perfection). One of these days I need to get started on the Flavia de Luce series - looks so good and right up my alley! Do you listen to these on audio or read in print?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...