Pages

2.08.2016

A Post: Weekly Reads / 02.07.2016






Started and finished The Bronte Plot by Katherine Reay this weekend, so look out for a post of mini reviews with my thoughts on it, and The Improbability of Love, later this week.

Started First Ladies: Presidential Historians on the Lives of 45 Iconic American Women by Susan Swain on Friday and have gotten as far as the 28th-- there were two, Edith, and then Ellen Wilson. It's fascinating and has pushed me to do some more reading featuring American history. C-Span pulled the book together by taking pieces from the televised programs created for each of the first ladies in order to give a basic overview of their personalities and legacies. Pretty excited that I'll have something to watch once I'm finished. Learn more (and watch) here: http://firstladies.c-span.org/.

Hoping to get into Girl Through Glass by Sari Wilson after finally getting it in at the library.

And, of course, the large stack of comics I hope to add between longer reads. (insert smiley emojis)

All and all, I'm thinking it's going to be a promising week in the reading department!


What are you reading?

12 comments:

  1. What an interesting way to compile a book on First Ladies! I'm reading Headstrong right now and it's kind of like an encyclopedia about female scientists. I'm wondering where the author found all of her information. I can see a spiral down the information rabbit hole at some point...

    Happy reading, Beth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! What you're reading sounds really fascinating.. adding to my TBR NOW!

      I will say that the first ladies book is definitely a starting point in getting to know each so you can do further research on those who interest you. The only thing that's bothered me thus far is that a majority of the "facts" are speculative. So. There's that. Otherwise, it's been a good read.

      Delete
  2. Super curious what you'll think of Girl Through Class - I have a copy and keep wanting to pick it up, but haven't heard much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm only 40 pages in and I go from being really intrigued to not caring much. I have a feeling it will be very well received in the literature community, but also polarizing. We'll see... I still have quite a bit of ground to cover.

      Delete
  3. I have to concur--that First Ladies book looks fantastic! I eventually want to read a biography on every President, but that goal has extended more to buying the books than actually reading them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's certainly a goal! Maybe one a year?? That's a commitment.

      Delete
  4. I'm about to start Girl Through Glass later this week. It sounds so good, so I'm hoping it really is. Can't wait to find out your thoughts on it. By the by, I love this new post of yours about your weekly reads :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what you think. I'm kind of iffy about it right now, but I'm also not very far along.

      And thank you!! I'm really trying to blog more because I miss talking to everyone. This holds me accountable and helps me focus on a set number of books when I'm looking at my library stack of 30+!

      Delete
  5. Just started in on a different one of Katherine Reay's books. Not the best books ever but I'm totally a sucker for the Austen/Bronte references...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I will definitely say that it was not a favorite, but the literary references had me hooked! It's an easy read and I loved the visions of the English countryside.

      Delete
  6. Like others have said, because I'm waaaaay behind in my blog reader, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you think of Girl Through Glass. I've got a soft spot for ballerina stories, but I'm on the fence about this one for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to put it aside because I just wasn't getting into it. I think I'm definitely in the minority on this one because most people have LOVED it. I'm not really a fan of ballerina stories so that could be why it just didn't pull me in.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...