Pages

10.21.2010

Discussion One: Little Bee and Tasty Fall Treats


It’s been a hectic couple of weeks and will continue to be so up until the New Year. Life has never seemed quite so busy, but I think it’s a positive situation. In the coming weeks, I’ll be adding even more but will work hard to prevent my blog from taking the brunt of the loss of free time. I would like, however, to beef up my posts and really discuss the literature I’ve been reading, instead of just simply stating whether my audience should take a look at it or not.


I want to incorporate more of my interests into this blog, as well as, maintain dedication to my love of literature. I’d like to be able to share pictures of beautiful places, delicious recipes and reviews of my recent reads. This blog is a creative outlet* for me, and I want to be able to share lots of ideas that motivate and inspire me, with the hope that it will do the same for you!

My first blog entry in a new direction will feature information from last night’s reading group meeting and an appetizing Fall recipe.

As stated before, we meet twice a month. We divide the book in half and address our thoughts and notations accordingly. Last night, all members were in agreement that Little Bee is a novel  you can’t put down; two members finished the book as they couldn’t pry their fingers from the soft cover.

If you haven’t heard of Little Bee: look it up; although, you won’t find much information as to what the story's actually about, and that’s the author’s intentions. We went into the novel without a clue of what were getting ourselves into!

Some Notes: M pointed out the number of references to flags throughout the first 126 pages. Numerous statements from our leading characters stress the importance of identity through this representation. Identity, national identity, more specifically, plays a large role in the plot. Furthermore, the novel prompts self-reflection of one’s own identity and role in society.

The stark contrast of life in a small village in Nigeria to that of the sizeable city of London, England is explored through the dichotomy of Little Bee and Sarah. Little Bee’s examination of a life outside the way she has understood her being is projected through her voice as she describes the unthinkable nuances of everyday life in a culture far from her own. Human obligation is another theme that will, I have no doubt, be more developed through the last half of the novel.  Food for thought: What obligation do we have to our fellow man/woman?  When do our own lives become more important than another? 

Readers who dislike violent material may not want to read Little Bee. Violence is a staple of the storyline; however, Cleave’s depiction is far from gratuitous or distasteful. Little Bee explores greed and the crimes against humanity that break the soul. Eye-opening and inspirational, Little Bee has been a solid read thus far.

Last night’s meeting was engaging and enjoyable. Not to mention that I surprised the ladies with Maple Cream Cheese frosted Pumpkin cupcakes! Baking is such fun, but making sweet treats for others is even better.  A delicious pumpkin cupcake recipe can be found here: Joy of Baking, and is certainly complimented by this frosting recipe I found on Epicurious.  (I cut this frosting recipe in half as it was for a cake and I only made 12 cupcakes; perfect amount.) 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Little Bee really intiates a compelling discussion; I highly recommend the novel to book clubs everywhere!  Also, I encourage you to share any tasty Fall recipes you have up your sleeve!

* ;)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...